Airing Schedule

Click here for the full airing schedule.

Produced by BYU students and hosted by Professor Jeff Parkin, First Look is a unique series where student filmmakers showcase and discuss their work. On each episode they discuss the impact these remarkable creative experiences had on them--highlighting the challenges faced and lessons learned en route to capturing stories that uplift and inspire. Tune in to BYU TV to get your first look at this new generation of filmmakers. Their work encourages us to consider how we see, listen, and think about moving images.

Something to say about it?

Please share your comments, questions, thoughts, concerns about the episodes below. Please be thoughtful and respectful in your responses to others' opinions. Comments will be screened before posting.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

EPISODE 212: EXPERIMENTS

"2Ne211"

Featuring “2Ne211,” with director Tim Irwin; “Pat Asplund: A Merry Widow,” with director Erin Fox; Ode to an Orange,” with director A. Todd Smith; and The Sari,” with director Manju Varghese. Also featuring faculty hosts Tom Lefler and Tom Russell.

In “2Ne211,” Tim Irwin interprets the scripture from 2 Nephi Chapter 2 Verse 11 by using abstract, conflicting images in split-screen, inspired from his own life experiences. On one side there is peace, but on the other there is industrial chaos, reflecting both the serenity and turmoil inherent in his and ultimately each of our lives that come with having opposition in all things.

"Pat Asplund: A Merry Widow"

Erin Fox incorporates stories about her roommate’s mother with experimental footage in “Pat Asplund: A Merry Widow.” Erin filmed Pat in a variety of settings from her day-to-day activities and brought them to life with techniques which visually communicate something complementary to what Pat may be saying. The result is a unique portrait of a unique woman, who happens to really enjoy her life.

“Ode to an Orange” was A. Todd Smith’s application film to get into the Media Arts major at BYU! One would think this imaginative short came from a more advanced student, as Todd combines Super8 footage with digital video in a vibrant interpretation of the short story by Larry Woiwode.

"Ode to an Orange"

In “The Sari,” Manju Varghese captures a daily routine from the life of an Indian woman: putting on a sari. Manju brings a sense of magic and wonder to this routine in each of her production choices, and collaborated with her family in a variety of roles to create this short film, fittingly, about familial traditions.

"The Sari"

MORE ABOUT THE FILMMAKERS:

Tim Irwin got his start making films about skateboarding and punk bands. In his own words: When I was 16 my life changed for a few reasons. I started skateboarding, and I took a video production class. I spent my time skateboarding, playing in a punk band, or making films about skateboarders and punk bands. It's amusing to me that I am doing the same things as an adult that I was passionate about as a teenager. But I'm grateful that it has worked out that way. Documentaries are my passion--all forms of non-fiction film making. I'm interested in making films about people who are passionate about what they do. I'm inspired by all sorts of flavors of art and film.

I started my professional film making at Dog on a Bike Films where I was able to be part of some really fantastic projects. It was there that I met and worked with Steve Olpin. A creative relationship that has given me many opportunities to further my craft. Steve and I still work together often and I am stoked on that. We also own a post production company together.

Check out more of Tim's work here:

www.timirwin.net

ranchexit.blogspot.com


No comments: